bookmark_borderOne Page Guide to Going Self Employed

These are the steps how to register self employed:

Step 1: Create a ‘Government Gateway’ account.
  • You’ll need to supply your full name and email address and create a password.
  • You’ll then be sent a user ID to the email address you provided, from which you can continue with the next steps.
  • You can create the account online here.
Step 2: Log in to your Government Gateway account and select ‘Add a tax’
  • Using your user ID and password, you can now log in to your Government Gateway account (here)
  • Register self employed for self assessment tax.
  • You’ll see an option to add a tax to your account.
Step 3: Select ‘Self Assessment’ for the type of tax you want to add
  • Choose the option for Self Assessment (for self-employed, partnerships and trusts), when presented with the question ‘what type of tax do you want to add?’
  • Then select ‘Individual or sole trader.
Step 4: Enter the date you started trading
  • For tax purposes, you’ll be asked when you started working for yourself – i.e. when you started receiving income.
Step 5: Submit basic details about you as an individual for HMRC
  • You’ll need to have your National Insurance number and confirm a few other details, including personal information, home address, contact details and the name of the person or firm you’re working for (which might be yourself, or the name of the business).
  • If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you will need to get a National Insurance number to register for self employment: you can apply for one by contacting the Jobcentre Plus application line on 0345 600 0643.
Step 6: Submit basic details about the type of self-employed work you do
  • Define the nature of the business to ensure you will be taxed appropriately for the income you receive from being self employed.
  • This only needs to be a basic summary; the example given by HMRC in answer to ‘What sort of self-employed work do you do?’ is ‘e.g. plumbers, investment business’.
Step 7 = Review and submit your request to register as self-employed
  • You’ll then get a letter with a 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and be enrolled for self-assessment online service.
  • You can then use this UTR to add other taxes.
That’s it!

Registering self employed is light on paperwork and doesn’t require paying a registration fee, so it’s worth registering as soon as you can.